(click each question to expand answer)
- I am completely brand new to training any sort of applied martial art or fighting discipline. Can I take classes with you?Absolutely. You will train in a safe and supportive environment, helping grow your practical fighting and self-defense skills. The instructors and senior students love helping anyone new to training. You can explore more about the curriculum and see sample video lessons of what you would learn in a class here…
- I have experience training in applied martial arts (or I know about them already). May I learn more specifics about your curriculum and training?You can explore more about the curriculum and see sample video lessons here…
- Are people under 18 years old allowed to take your classes?We have had students as young as 12 years old take our classes. Whether or not a person can take classes with us is dependent on the person’s maturity and character. We provide a safe and encouraging environment for all students, no matter the age.
- Do you offer "women only" classes?All of our classes are co-ed. Our student base is respectful and supportive of each other. Training with a variety of people will help ensure you have the confidence and skills to handle what may come your way, in the unfortunate event of having to defend yourself. You are more than welcome to come watch a class, if you would like to see our camaraderie first hand.
- I'm not in the best shape. Can I still train with you?Yes. With proper diet and time on the mat, your fitness level will increase safely and quicker than you might expect. We even have a dedicated Combat Conditioning class, to help accelerate your efforts.
- Actually, I'm in good shape and know my way around a mat, can your students keep up with me?All instructors and senior students regularly workout and spar in all disciplines. Some have 10+ years of training and competition experience. We’d love to workout with you. Iron sharpens iron.
- Do I have to sign a contract to train with you?No. Never. We believe our new students will love the environment and training they receive so much that they will continue to be a part of our academy without one.
- What are your prices?
- What is your class schedule?
- What is the history of your academy?
Since 1990, our academy welcomes anyone interested in attaining realistic fighting skills, getting in great physical condition, and having a lot of fun in the process.
Frank Benn, the founder and chief instructor of IFA Academy, has been teaching martial art for over 30 years. He has an extensive background in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), Western Boxing, Muay Thai, Freestyle Wrestling, Filipino Martial Arts, as well as several traditional arts.
Frank has spent many years analyzing actual self-defense encounters, fights that occur on the street, as well as challenge matches between trained martial artists of various styles around the world. Based on this analysis, he designed a curriculum primarily emphasizing real world functionality, addressing all areas of combat including stand-up striking, clinch and ground fighting, and modern-day hand-to-hand weapons. It is a comprehensive system that teaches students to flow between different combat ranges and leverage the strengths of each most effectively. Training under this system has produced competent and skilled fighters, in competition, and in self-defense encounters.